Friday, March 04, 2016

Still Poem-ing After All These Years

Most of the creative writing I wrote in my 20s and 30s was poetry and poetry-related. Since becoming an independent consultant, I've had to switch my focus to more lucrative writing so that we can pay the rent. However, I do have many poems that I still submit to journals, and I have a second full-length collection that is starting to make the rounds with a select handful of editors.

2015 was a quiet year for getting my own poems published, but I was happy to have an appearance in Birmingham Poetry Review. I also served as editor for the very fabulous (if I do say so myself) poetry anthology -- My Cruel Invention, which was published by Meerkat Press in December 2015. (Check out the sidebar on the right for more info!)

2016 is looking pretty good so far, with poems forthcoming in Gargoyle and The Broadkill Review. Just yesterday, my poem "Acrostic: Dolores" appeared in the new constraint-themed issue of The Ilanot Review, a great online publication that I've been following for years.

I also have a feature article about poetry forthcoming in the April 2016 issue of The Writer. I have not abandoned poetry!

While I don't focus on crafting new poems at the moment (I've got a middle-grade novel I'm working on!), lines for poems do occasionally happen.

I don't know if I'll write a poem draft this year, but it's still there in my heart, and on my reading table.

No comments: