Saturday, March 19, 2016

Becoming the Solution You Need

When I regularly taught an online poetry workshop, one of the exercises I assigned encouraged students to craft a poem that used the cross-cutting technique typically found in films. I desperately wanted to find a themed reading to go along with the assignment. I searched. And then I searched some more. I asked other poets.

Then I realized that I would need to write the article myself. I found examples of the method I was talking about, which didn't really "exist" as a method for creating a poem. It was just a poetic device that could be found in poems but didn't have a name in the literary world, only in the film industry.

I asked the poets who used the technique if I could cite excerpts of their poems as examples in an article. When the article was written, I spent more than a year sending it out first to one literary magazine, waiting, and then sending it out again when it was rejected. After waiting for about four months to hear from The Writer, I sent an inquiry. Although I did not hear back immediately, I waited another month and a half, and then I sent another query. I really thought it would be a perfect fit with them.

Two weeks later, the editor responded. She wanted to use my article as one of the features in their upcoming National Poetry Month issue.

I am thrilled that the issue has now hit the newsstands...



Mine is the article listed on the cover as "Build texture in poems with film techniques".

If you ever find yourself disappointed that you can't find an article to use for a workshop you're leading, or for a presentation you want to give to a client, maybe it's your destiny to write that article.






1 comment:

Steve Rogers said...

Congratulation on your piece in The Writer. Steve