Monday, February 08, 2016

Cleansing My Mind with Art

I have a goal this year of going out and enjoying the city I live in at least a couple of times per month. When you're self-employed, it's easy to sit behind your desk all day, and even much of the evening, working for clients, marketing your business, and networking on social media. I decided that this year I would make a point of getting out from behind the desk to clear my mind.

In early-February, I checked out the Pollock Mural exhibition at DeutscheBank KunstHalle, which has no entrance fee on every Monday.



The museum space is limited to one large room, and an entrance area. The first section of the exhibit included photographs from the period when Pollock painted his famed Mural on commission for the apartment of Peggy Guggenheim.

I had the opportunity to sit on one of the benches facing the painting and allowed myself to take notes on my thoughts as I looked at it.


I won't pretend to be an art critic, but my thoughts focused on composition, and the parallels between the composition of a painting such as this and, say, the writing of a poem. How does one know when something is "finished"?

Whether you are a painter or a poet, you add and subtract, layer and erase, edit and transform until you get to the point that you think -- When is it done? If I do anything else to it, will I improve it or ruin it?

I look forward to writing about my next outing, which should be a visit to the K├Ânig Galerie in St. Agnes.

No comments: