Sunday, November 23, 2014

Percentages

Yesterday, I sent out what will likely be the last poetry submission of the year. Because it's been a bit of a crazy year, and because I am trying to focus on writing that pays money, I haven't been writing or submitting much in the way of poetry this year. But, since I was curious, I did a tally of my submissions to literary journals.

I sent 39 batches of poems to litmags. I am awaiting response from nine. I had four acceptances, but one of them was for translations and if I can't get the permissions fee waived (due to the fact that I, myself, will not receive any money for the translations), then that drops me back to three acceptances out of 30 responses so far. I consider 10% to be pretty good, considering that I've been extremely selective and aiming at some pretty high branches.

Nine batches awaiting response. If I keep up the percentages, that means one will likely be an acceptance. Which will it be? Hmmmm....

2 comments:

Carl Sharpe said...

I am rooting for the best one!

--Carl Sharpe

Bernadette Geyer said...

Thank you, Carl!