Thursday, September 04, 2014

A Special Place in My Heart for Poet's Market

I wish I could remember exactly which year it was that I bought my very first copy of Poet's Market from Writer's Digest. I started submitting poems some time around 1999, so it must have been around then that I made that purchase. And I remember the excitement of marking up the listings of where I wanted to submit, contacting some (via snail mail!) for guidelines or buying single copies of back issues. The internet was quite new back then and not many journals were online, so Poet's Market was really my only way of finding out about the diverse array of journals and publishers that existed. After several months, my copy of the directory would be dog-eared and graphite-smeared with my scribblings and erasures.

Here I am, a little more than 15 years later, celebrating the publication of the 2015 Poet's Market, which includes my poem "Parable of the Fish". It's a very special feeling for me to be included in a resource that meant so much to me when I was just starting to put my poems out in the world. The 2015 edition also features articles by Amorak Huey and Jeannine Hall Gailey, as well as interviews with poets including Thomas Lux and Shaindel Beers.

Writer's Digest has put out a call for submissions of poems and pitches of articles for the 2016 Poet's Market. The deadline is October 15, 2014. Full details on what they are looking for can be found here.

1 comment:

swapna rajesh said...

Wow its nice to know about a person like you, you inspired me with this post here. It's a great opportunity to have you here.
Thank You
Packers and Movers Gurgaon