Monday, August 25, 2014

Whoops, where did that month go?

How can it be the end of August already? Today is the first day of school for children in Berlin, which means for most folks, it is also a return to routine, a return to work.

I never realized how truly dedicated to vacations Europeans were. Coming from a city that never took time off, where people accrued comp days and then couldn't use them all up at the end of the year, it was a difficult change. However, I think that August's two weeks of camp, visits from several out-of-town friends, and taking care of "back-to-school" shopping managed to help us breeze through the month without blinking.

And it's hard to get any work done if everyone you need to talk to is on vacation for 3 weeks and is not responding to emails.

So, we made our own plans, slept in a little longer, went to more parks, played table tennis, walked around, ate ice cream, and snatched little bits of productivity here and there. Somehow, I finished three big projects last week and had a real weekend.

Next thing I knew, I was setting the alarm for 6:00 a.m. and making a bag lunch and walking to a large old brick building along with hundreds of other parents and kids.

It was a great summer holiday. I think I'm actually looking forward to the next one.

No comments: