Wednesday, January 15, 2014

A New Way for Me to Waste Time -- Magpile

I know I am probably late to the game here, but I just found out about Magpile and wanted to share this discovery for those of you who may not have already heard of it.

At first glance, it seems a little bit like Goodreads, but for magazines. Magazines of all types. You can browse listings by country or by category, view their "Infinite Cover Wall", and read reviews by other Magpile users.

Hello 32 Poems!
When I brought up the Literature category -- lo and behold -- I saw a familiar magazine listed at the top, thanks to the fact that magazines with a number in the title are listed first. A big quibble I have with the alphabetization on Magpile is that magazines whose first word is "The" are all listed down in the Ts.

Nominations are now being accepted from users for the annual Magpile Magazine Awards, which are given in three categories: Best Independent Magazine, Best New Magazine, and Best Magazine Design. The winner in the Best Independent Magazine category will receive a £1000 cash award. The deadline for nominations is 27 January 2014.

Of course this is a great resource for me as a writer, but also I see danger in my losing track of hours while exploring here.

If you are so inclined, you can check them out at www.magpile.com.

No comments: