Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Diving Right In

Now that our lives are no longer consumed with building Ikea furniture, or unpacking and figuring out where to put all of the possessions we shipped, I've been able to dive back into work mode. Or, at least, freelance mode.

In addition to gearing up for a couple of online poetry workshops that I will be leading through The Writer’s Center (see previous post), I've been:
A few blocks from our apartment, the
Maerchenbrunnen (Fairy Tale Fountain)
is a prominent feature in
Volkspark Friedrichshain.

  • Finalizing my resume and putting together cover letters
  • Submitting poems to journals
  • Drafting new poems and essays, and
  • Researching literary-related events I want to attend (there are so many here in Berlin!)

This week, I will attend one (perhaps two) events that are part of the International Literature Festival in Berlin (http://www.literaturfestival.com/). Headliners of the event include Salman Rushdie and J.M. Coetzee, but the festival abounds with a great many voices from all over the world, featured in events with titles such as “The Long Night of Brazilian Literature” and “A Literary Bail-out for Europe”.

I've met a surprising number of other authors so far, and I’m hoping to get my German language skills up to the point where I can read their works!

Street art in the Wasserturm park,
also just a few blocks from
our apartment. 
While the adjustment to city life – and the learning curve for figuring out where to purchase common things such as baking soda, or do simple tasks like registering our daughter for guitar lessons – has been challenging at times, I've been enjoying myself quite a bit. I am surrounded by art and history. The city is exciting to be in and the area we are living in is filled with things to do. There are book stores on every block! We joked that we never have to leave a 5-block radius of our house, and there are days when it does feel that way.


However, we don’t want to squander the great advantage of being in a city like Berlin. We are making a point of getting out of our area at least once a week to see other parts of the city. Especially now that we don’t have to make a weekly trip on the tram out to IKEA…

No comments: