Sunday, September 02, 2012

Lazy Gardening - Basil

I am one of those people who wants a great garden, but doesn't have all that much time or desire to put a whole lot of effort into it. I spend "maybe" an hour a week on the yard. So, when I select plantings, I do so with that in mind. I look for plants/flowers/herbs/vegetables that are drought-tolerant, heat-loving, and (in the case of our front yard) deer-resistant.

Once I plant it, I don't want to have to do a whole lot to it to keep it going. Dead-heading is fairly easy and can be accomplished in a quick stint, so that's not a problem for me.

Every so often, I will share things I have discovered along the way. Today, I want to talk Basil.



If you've ever tried to grow basil in a pot and found yours to get leggy and bolt quickly when temperatures hung around in the 90s, you need to look into this -- Columnar Greek Basil. As you can see, I have it in a pot. That's dangerous to do during a summer like this with so little rain in most of the United States.

However, other than paying close attention the first week and making sure I watered it in well, I have basically just let it go, snipping some for the regular Caprese Salads or for extra flavor in the pasta sauce. I have found this Greek Columnar Basil to be heat-tolerant and drought resistant. It seems to be fairly pest resistant as well. When I've tried to grow Sweet Italian Basil, something has always gotten to it and eaten holes in the leaves. Greek Columnar Basil tastes the same as Sweet Italian Basil.

I just got back from a two-week vacation and returned to this mighty basil column and definitely foresee some pesto in my family's future!

I have done a little research into Greek Columnar Basil and have found that it is easy to use a cutting of it to pot indoors for winter.

Happy planting!

No comments: