Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Belated Mother's Day Post

I was remembering on Mother's Day that last year's celebration included some lovely reading time, during which I was brought to tears by a poem in Aimee Nezhukumatathil's collection Lucky Fish. A lovely poem that I posted a snippet of in honor of Mother's Day.

Well, this year I wasn't reading any poetry on Mother's Day (though I did pick up a couple of collections at the Reston Used Book Store while we were in the area for brunch!). But, just yesterday, I was listening to a poetry podcast interview of Beth Ann Fennelly reading poems from her collection Unmentionables, and was brought to tears (at my office!) by her reading of her poem "Because People Ask What My Daughter Will Think of My Poems When She's 16".

I found this web page on Poems Out Loud, which features the text of the poem, as well as link to the audio of Beth Ann Fennelly reading it herself. Here is a snippet:

Daughter, the light of
the future is apricot,
and in it you are not
the thigh-child pointing
her earnest index finger
to the yellow balloon clearing
the willows and drifting
higher, you’re the balloon. I’m
the grasping hand. Or I’m
the
oo in balloon. I’ll meet you
there.

No comments: