Thursday, March 08, 2012

Delicious Incongruity

I try to exercise on a regular basis. We have a rowing machine, so that's my usual routine. Many of you already know that I like to listen to poetry podcasts while working out.

Tonight, I listened to the Essential American Poets podcast by the Poetry Foundation (see list below for links). The episode I listened to featured Jorie Graham.

There is a delicious incongruity between the languidness of her reading voice, the lush headiness of her poems, and the sheer physical-ness of the act of rowing a steady pace. It almost sets up a mind disconnect where the body is all action while the mind is just -- well -- mind.

So, if you're tired of your usual dance club remixes, go ahead & give a podcast a try. Here are some I like to listen to:

Essential American Poets
New Letters on the Air
Poetry off the Shelf
Poetry Magazine Podcast
PennSound Poetry Podcast
Poetry Lectures

No comments: