Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Adrienne Rich (May 16, 1929 to March 27, 2012)

I was introduced to the poetry of Adrienne Rich in my first poetry class in college. I still remember how her work affected me and enlightened me to the potential power of words.

Nothing can be done
but by inches. I write out my life
hour by hour, word by word
gazing into the anger of old women on the bus
numbering the striations
of air inside the ice cube
imagining the existence
of something uncreated
this poem
our lives

--from "Incipience"


I go down.
My flippers cripple me,
I crawl like an insect down the ladder
and there is no one
to tell me when the ocean
will begin.

--from "Diving into the Wreck" 



Diving into the Wreck: Poems 1971-1972, Adrienne Rich. Co-winner of the National Book Award for Poetry in 1974.

No comments: