Sunday, January 01, 2012

Setting Goals for 2012

Over the past week, I've been thinking of some goals for this new year. As January O'Neil said in her 2012 Poetry Action Plan, "Be realistic about what can you achieve. Having a focus is essential. Pick four or five goals and stick to them."

So, I have set for myself five goals for this year, not necessarily poetry-related. In no particular order:

*  Figure out a better system for dealing with Frida's papers. I seriously need some way of managing those stacks.

* Begin pulling together my 2nd manuscript. I've been filling some thematic gaps, but need to figure out what's there and what is working together.

* Plant a raised garden bed. Really, I want two raised garden beds, but am realistically setting a goal of establishing one, most likely with the help of my Dad who wants a "project" to work on the next time he comes to visit with Mom.

* Submit poems to more journals.

* Finally, I want to continue to cultivate a well-rounded life of creativity, beyond poetry, to give me a more balanced way of approaching my writing.

Wishing all the best to you in 2012!

1 comment:

kellydavio.com said...

We started with a raised bed and have now grown to 5 of them! Gardening has turned out to be a good non-writing task for me. It's contemplative work off the page...