Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Hear that?

That's the sound of the new rhythm I've fallen into.

Last Tuesday, I started a new copy editing job. In an office. My first foray back into the office-world since I gave birth to Frida and embarked on a five-year stint freelancing while she was napping or after she'd gone to sleep.

Starting this new chapter of my life has been a surprisingly easy transition. Luckily, the contract is part-time and, if I really need to, I can work from home.

I've been having a blast so far, but the start of the new job was coupled with the start of an 8-week online poetry workshop I'm leading through The Writer's Center. Oh, and did I mention I'm still doing that monthly fuel cell newsletter for my former employers? Yep. That was due this week as well.

So it's been a rough week and a half, working late after Frida goes to bed, and not being able to hang out with Peter and watch football as much as I would like.

But today, after the newsletter was distributed, after a productive morning at the new job, after arriving home with Frida to discover a five-leaf clover in our front yard, after sitting down and harvesting some of the lavender that I've been drying for Christmas present sachets, after commenting on the poems of my workshop participants, I realized that I am doing this. I can do this.

Two weeks ago, I was unsure. But now I know it's all gonna work out just fine.

And I WILL get to bed on time tonight!

1 comment:

sarah gutowski said...

Yay for Superwoman Bernie! Congrats on the new job and special congratulations for figuring out, so quickly, how to manage it all. I hope the class is going well, too! It's cool that the Writing Center is conducting online classes now.