Wednesday, June 01, 2011

Poet's Market Becomes a Market for Poets?

In a very "meta" move, the publishers of the annual Poet's Market (Writer's Digest) will be publishing 20 poems in the 2013 edition.

Robert Lee Brewer, editor of the annual market compendium, posted the announcement on his blog yesterday.

Poets may submit up to 3 previously unpublished poems. Simultaneous submissions are allowed as long as you notify Brewer should any of the poems be accepted elsewhere. Poets whose poems are accepted for publication will receive $50.00 plus a contributor's copy of the 2013 Poet's Market.

When I first started sending my poems into the world, the Poet's Market was like a bible to me. I poured through the pages for weeks after getting a new edition, making notes and putting stars next to the publications to which I wanted to submit poems. The articles and interviews were always very insightful. I even reviewed the 2003 edition, edited by Nancy Breen.

Over the past four or five years, I've developed my own list of publications in which I want my poems to be published, but sometimes I'm completely blown away reading the poems in new publications like Think Journal and String Poet, and wonder why I've never heard of them before. Perhaps picking up a new edition of Poet's Market would be good for me...

2 comments:

donnadcowan said...

Hi Bernadette,

I like your blog! I was looking for a comprehensive place to follow the DC poetry scene, and this is it!

I live in Falls Church and haven't been too involved in the poetry world for a while - at home with 2 little girls - but my first book was just picked up for publication next year so I need to jump back in. Hope to see you at some local events!

Take care, Donna Lewis Cowan

Bernadette Geyer said...

Thanks, Donna! Glad you are enjoying the blog. Another place to get the scoop on local events is the Beltway Poetry Quarterly web site, which updates local events calendar on a monthly basis. You can check it out at:

http://washingtonart.com/beltway/ponews.html

Maybe I'll see you at a future reading...

--Bernadette