Friday, October 08, 2010

Workshop for Prospective Strauss Fellow Applicants - Fairfax County, VA

Just a shout-out to all Fairfax County artists - visual, musical, and literary - the Arts Council of Fairfax County will be holding a workshop for prospective applicants for the 2011 Strauss Fellowships on November 6, 2010.
The Arts Council of Fairfax County will conduct a free grant preparation workshop to instruct prospective applicants on how to complete a Strauss Fellowship application.  The Arts Council encourages attendance by potential applicants.  An applicant’s attendance at a workshop will not affect the evaluation of the application.

The grant preparation workshop will be held November 6, 2010 at 10:30 am.

The workshop will be held at ArtSpace Herndon, 750 Center Street, Herndon, VA  20170.

For more details, or to register, click here.

My 2010 Strauss Fellowship has been extremely valuable to me. It came at the perfect time. My fellowship enabled me to send my book-length poetry manuscript to more publishers than I otherwise would have this year. Also, it enabled me to take a long writing weekend with other poet friends, where I was able to get away and have time to focus on my writing.

Fairfax County is one of few areas that has not completely eliminated arts fellowships, although arts funding overall has been cut back dramatically.

If you are a writer or artist in the County, I strongly encourage you to attend this workshop and to apply.

No comments: