Friday, October 15, 2010

To Say the Least

How did it get to be mid-October? Since Frida has begun her fall school vacation, I've been reflecting on some of the things that have helped the past two months fly by:

  • Work - When it rains it pours, and I've been kept busy by a nearly steady stream of freelance writing and editing projects. I finished up a draft of an annual report, copy edited a couple of big projects, and completed the usual monthly newsletters.
  • Teaching - My workshop on "How2 Make a Living as a Copy Editor" at The Writer's Center last week went much better than I could have ever expected. We had lively discussions, and many of the attendees provided valuable information I will be able to incorporate into future workshops. If you missed it, The Writer's Center will offer it again early next year. Next up, I'll be leading five workshops for elementary school students in Fairfax County, and having them write poetry in response to the Freya Grand art exhibit at the Greater Reston Arts Center.
  • Health - I'm finally getting over a (thank goodness!) mild case of Shingles. I was glad that I didn't have the pain, just the itching. Unfortunately, for the past two weeks, I've looked like I've been walking around with a big hickey on my neck.
  • Home projects - From hiring someone to take down a big, leaning tree in the backyard to having a toilet replaced, and from completing two front yard planting beds to recaulking a bathtub, homeownership has kept me on my toes and in Home Depot.
  • Refinancing the house - Rates are so low that we would have been crazy to not jump at this chance to whack a couple percent off our mortgage rate. But the process has taken far longer than expected and I've had too many urgent requests for information following days of silence, and I am just ready for this process to be over.
  • Being a Mom - I don't think I need to elaborate on how this might keep me busy.

What I hope to spend more time on in the near future:

  • Poetry - I managed to submit my book manuscript to a few publishers this week and sent some poems to a few journals, but since I can't buy groceries with sonnets and can't pay the plumber with contributors' copies of lit journals, poetry has been on the back burner.
  • Book reviews - I confess that I will take a notebook with me to Frida's playdate this afternoon, in the hopes that they will keep each other busy enough that I can sit in a quiet room and write a book review.
  • Family - Actually, I've been doing pretty good about dedicating weekends to my family, but weeknights have found me at my computer more often than actually spending time with hubby. I'm hoping that once Frida's fall break is over and I have time during the day to do my work that I might, gasp, be able to find out what Peter's been up to the past couple of months...

2 comments:

32poems.com said...

Congrats on the refi. Although frustrating, it can be SO worth it.

Maybe I'll see you in the Home Depot aisles? We're getting a new kitchen floor, counters and backsplash. Goodbye to the 70s!

Bernadette Geyer said...

Yay for you and a new kitchen! See you in the grout aisle!