Thursday, July 29, 2010

Thoughts before Heading on a Writing Retreat

I'm retreating this weekend. Just me and a handful of poet-friends for a whirlwind poetry writing retreat. Not a big fancy castle in the Italian Alps. Just five of us in a small Virginia town, taking over whatever corner of a coffee shop we can find.

Though I've semi-officially "taken the summer off" of writing, I admit to the occasional jotting of a line here and there. Heck, maybe even a draft in there somewhere.

I'm taking one book: Diane Ackerman's A Natural History of the Senses.

I admit to reading very little poetry so far this summer. Mostly nonfiction and fiction. It's been refreshing to tackle some longer works that have been on my "to read" shelves (yes, there are two shelves in my house dedicated to books I have not yet read). I'm even contemplating Kazuo Ishiguro's novel, The Unconsoled, as my August reading project.

While we're "retreating" down in Fredericksburg, we will be the featured readers at the Fredericksburg Athenaeum. If you're in the vicinity on Saturday night, check us out!

No comments: