Thursday, April 01, 2010

NaPoWriMo 2010

What happened to March?! Lost in a blur of debris-clearing, I suppose.

In February, I managed to successfully complete a regimen of writing 30 Poems in 30 Days. During March, I took the opportunity to work on a few of the drafts I thought most promising. Now ... April is here, the official National Poetry Writing Month, and I have again pledged to write a poem a day.

Am I insane?

No. I have found these bursts of creativity to be very useful. Once my mind is in "drafting mode" it actually becomes easier to stay in "drafting mode." I draft. I set it aside. I forget about it for a month. I return with a fresh eye.

When my daughter begins her summer break, I will take those seven weeks off from writing poems. I give myself that break every year. When she returns to school in the fall, I'll return to my writing with a renewed vigor.

This is the creativity cycle that works for me at this point in my life.

I won't be posting drafts of poems like many others. As usual, I will periodically list titles of the drafts. I have one poet-friend I will be exchanging drafts with on a daily basis. Otherwise, I will keep my wheat and chaff from the public eye until I have time to figure out which is which.

I have already drafted my first poem this morning -- 1. Spring

No comments: