Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Goodbye 2009!

Looking back, 2009 was a pretty good year for me -- both on the creative front and the home front. There were some aspects that seemed more difficult this year but, overall, I feel very fortunate.

This week, I've been a busy bee around the house. When I was a youngster, I seem to recall hearing an old wives' tale about "What your house looks like on New Year's Day is how it will look the rest of the year." Hence, the whirling dervish of cleaning I've become over the last few days.

Right before I left Virginia to head to my parents' house in Pittsburgh for Christmas, I read about an old Polish tradition that said "What your house looks like on Christmas Day is how it will look the rest of the year."

I'm probably doomed either way.

When I was single, my New Year's tradition was to nurse a hangover while watching The Neverending Story and getting all weepy when Bastian realizes the characters in the story he is reading are actually talking to him. It remains one of my all-time favorite movies.

I make my New Year's Resolutions on New Year's Day. Which doesn't mean I'm not yet thinking about them.

My hopes & goals for the coming year are pretty much the same as they always are. I don't do yardsticks or benchmarks anymore. Any general improvement in my lot qualifies as success.

The older I get, the more slack I cut myself.

I think that was last year's resolution.

No comments: