Saturday, September 26, 2009

Thoughts on Time and Money

I was thinking about the concept of "finding the time to write" and how most successful writers say you have to commit to "making time to write".

And then there's also the saying in the business world that "time equals money."

Time really is a lot like money. You might "find" money, but never in great quantities. All I ever find are pennies and an occasional quarter. Once, I found $10 on the floor of a bar, but that's definitely not the norm. If you want lots of money, you have to "make" it.

Same thing with time. You might "find" a few minutes here or there, but you're rarely going to "find" a couple of hours unexpectedly to devote to your writing. You have to "make" time.

Last night, I wasted two hours watching TV and relaxing with a glass (or two) of wine. Tonight, I will be working on a newsletter after Frida goes to bed. Because that's what I have to do if I want the newsletter to go out on time.

But, I still keep my eye out for those stray pennies and minutes. They add up.

No comments: