Thursday, September 03, 2009

Economic Downturn Affects Two More Literary Establishments

Earlier this week, I discovered that Northeastern University suspended the Morse Poetry Prize. This saddened me because of all the wonderful poets whose Morse Prize-winning books I've read, including Dana Roeser, Carl Phillips, and Jennifer Atkinson.

And then today I received a letter from Fulcrum, announcing it has temporarily suspended publication. The letter notes that Fulcrum 7 will still appear later this year and to check the journal's web site for updates, starting in 2010.

Though times are tough, I've tried to support publishers and authors this summer, making several book purchases directly through press web sites or authors themselves. This fall, I'll be taking a look journal subscriptions. There are a couple I'm embarrassed to say I've let lapse this year, but I'll be hopefully getting a check to them within the next month or two.

No comments: