Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Sending the Kids Off for the 1st Time

Today, I sent out two poems for the first time. One was a poem I've been working on since 2008 NaPoWriMo (egad!) -- Jesus Christ of the Undocumented -- and one is a poem that was drafted during this year's NaPoWriMo and which I've worked on a lot over the past two weeks -- Sleeping It Off.

With JC of the Undocumented, I actually worked for many months on it last year and then it got buried under a bunch of other papers on my desk and I kind of "forgot" that I was close to being finished with it. When I looked at it again this morning, I realized it was ready to go out into the world.

It's always with a measure of trepidation that I send poems off for the first time. Then they come back and I look at them with a critical eye to see if there's anything else I can do with them before they get sent right back out again.

Like sending the kids off to school: the first time is filled with emotion, the 2nd is a little bit easier, and then it just becomes part of the routine.

No comments: