Friday, April 10, 2009

Another form of creativity


We had an overgrown bush in the front yard that has been bugging me for the past 2 and a half years that we've lived in this house. Our original plan was to just remove the bush. However, as I began pruning it this spring, I realized the bush had a fantastic architecture to it's main branches.


I decided to go all "Niwaki" on it.


Before (imagine it without the playful young scalliwags):






And the after:






As I removed one dead branch, exposing another, it all just sort of came together. The only comparison I can think of is how marble sculptors say they simply chip away everything that "isn't" the statue... that each hunk of marble tells them what it is supposed to be. I guess when I started pruning this bush, it began to reveal its potential.

1 comment:

Sandra said...

Gorgeous! I really am impressed.