Wednesday, December 10, 2008

But can you just tell me...

Most of you know that I provide freelance proofreading and editing services. This is sort of a "passive" sideline, since I do work for folks who approach me based on a list of services on my web site. But I decided from the start that, despite the fact that money is nice to have around, I would not work for just anyone.

One thing that I find difficult to swallow is the number of students who ask me to proofread their term papers or entrance application essays. I suppose in these times, when you can purchase term papers online, it only makes sense that students feel it's perfectly fine to pay someone to correct their papers BEFORE they turn it in to someone who corrects it to actually GRADE them.

If you're a student and you're reading this, please note: if you cannot spell or write a coherent sentence, that's what you are in school to LEARN. Your teacher needs to know if you cannot differentiate between their, they're or there. I had a history professor who gave an F to a fellow classmate's paper because he used the wrong one of the three (though I suspect there may have been more than one incidence of improper word/grammar usage). And when my classmate sought commiseration from me, I just shrugged because I agreed with the professor.

Professional proofreaders are not backstops for those who can't be bothered to show up for English class.

So get your ass to class and stop asking other people to do your work for you.

You just might learn something.

No comments: