So.... as poets (including Mary Biddinger and Deborah Ager) are sharing prompts for creating new poems, I'd like to start a list of prompts for revising poem drafts:
- Try putting the poem in syllabics to see what happens.
- Remove all line breaks and start over with another method for breaking the line.
- Remove all adverbs and choose stronger verbs.
- Read the poem several times and then remove it from your sight. Now try to re-write it from memory. You will remember what is most important to you from the poem draft.
- Rearrange or remove some of the stanzas.