Monday, August 11, 2008

Good for the Soul

My life since last Thursday has been a balsam for my soul. Four days in a "cabin" in Pennsylvania with my family had a very restorative affect on me. The weather was perfect: mid-60s to upper 70s. I was able to:

  • help Frida catch her first fish
  • learn how to properly bait a hook (although the fish somehow managed to eat three of my baits without ever tugging my line!)
  • eat fresh blackberries off the bush
  • play "monkey-in-the-middle"
  • stand on top of a mushroom-bedecked log doing a "freeze dance" as sung by my daughter
  • eat. and then eat some more. and then start cooking the next meal. and then have an appetizer while cooking the next meal. and then have dessert while discussing what the next meal was going to be.
  • eat some of the sweetest corn I have ever tasted (steam-grilled in their own water-soaked husks!)
  • watch the house mouse scale his way horizontally across the stacked stone fireplace

And when I returned to the DC area, I was pleasantly surprised to find the weather nearly as idyllic -- windows open, breezes wafting, it doesn't get any better than this. Unless the mosquitoes all suddenly disappeared...

No comments: