Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Final Day of NaPoWriMo

So... today is the last day of NaPoWriMo. I will have 4 hours to myself this afternoon while Frida's grandmother plays with her. Yesterday's poems came out of the two in-class exercises I assigned a class of 5th graders I taught through Arlington County's Pick-a-Poet Program, which places poets in public schools to teach 1-hr workshops. Over the course of this spring, I taught 13 classes. Whew. But it was a lot of fun. The most challenging part of each class was the Q&A at the end when students asked the difficult questions like "What's the hardest part about being a poet?" or "How can you tell something is a poem?"

One of the exercises was to pick an object in the room and write from the viewpoint of the object. I like to do the exercises, too, and here's what I came up with. They gave me a standing ovation for this. Ah, so impressionable. This poem will self-destruct in 24-hours:


Said the Homeroom Globe

*poof*

2 comments:

Greg said...

That's quite nice, Bernie! I like the sort of Skeltonic rhythm. Interesting that I just saw a poem by Jane Holland during my a.m. literary surf that is skeltonic:
http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/books/2008/04/poem_of_the_week_36.html

Hope to see this one again!

Sandra said...

Congrats, congrats! You made it.