Friday, December 21, 2007

My "7 Things" List

Aaron McCollough told a Michigan Daily reporter "7 things you should know about being a poet" and thanks to Deborah Ager for challenging other poets to come up with their own "7 things" lists. Here's mine:

  1. Poets should not marry each other. Would I want to marry me? Hell no.
  2. We are usually obsessed with reading. Give us two minutes and we are heads-down in a book. And don't bother us, please.
  3. We are like an arresting officer in that anything you say can and will be held against you. In verse form.
  4. You may think we are listening to your story about what happened today at work, but really we are trying to figure out the appropriate slant rhyme to fit the trochaic foot of the final couplet of the sonnet we are working on.
  5. I have to list one of Aaron's points here because I do feel it bears repeating: "Poetry isn't important in today's culture, but the fact that it's useless and people still continue to write it makes it important, in that weird paradoxical, poetic sort of way."
  6. Lots of poets will go to poetry readings only because there is an open mic segment and they want to read in the open mic. Sometimes, those poets will only show up for the open mic, wandering in just as the "featured poet" is reading his/her last poem.
  7. Featured poets strongly dislike the poets mentioned in #6 above.

1 comment:

Diane Lockward said...

Oh that #6! I refuse to applaud when those people read. They never buy books. When I was naive, I thought the writing that was going on while I was reading was note-taking. Didn't take too long to figure out it was working on the poem soon to be read when I shut up and the open could begin.